About Tom Caplan, MSW, Therapist
Tom Caplan, MS, MA, MSW, MFT, PSW is a registered Social Worker (OTSTCFQ), and licensed Psychotherapist (OPQ) working in private practice with individuals, couples, families and groups. Tom holds numerous professional positions and has published extensively in the area of counselling treatment and psychotherapy.
Tom is a Certified Marriage and Family Therapist (AAMFT), a Certified Marriage and Family Therapy Supervisor (AAMFT), and a member of the Professional Order of Social Workers of Quebec (OTSTCFQ).
Tom is an Adjunct Professor at McGill University’s School of Social Work and consultant to the McGill Domestic Violence Clinic. He is also a designated expert in Domestic Violence for the Quebec Court System.
Tom does clinical work with forensic populations, is a consultant to the Caplan Therapy Centre and is the founder and consultant to the Montreal Anger Management Centre. He has participated in research projects in collaboration with McGill University, Concordia University, the Jewish General Hospital and the Douglas Hospital.
Certifications & Affiliations
Tom’s professional certifications and leadership roles include:
- Masters of Science, Masters of Social Work, Masters of Counselling Psychology
- Member of the Professional Order of Social Workers of Quebec, and of the Quebec Association of Social Service Practitioners in the Health Field
- Approved Private Practitioner, Canadian Association of Social Workers
- Clinical Member and approved Clinical Supervisor of The American Association of Marriage and Family Therapy
- Registered Marriage and Family Therapist
- Internationally Certified Alcohol and Drug Therapist
- Member of L’Association des Resources Intervenant Aupres des Hommes Violents
- Member of the International Association of Social Work with Groups
- Member of the North American Society of Adlerian Psychology
- Designated Expert in Domestic Violence for the Quebec Court System
Tom’s appointments and professional affiliations include:
- McGill University: Adjunct professor, School of Social Work
- Director and Supervisor: McGill Domestic Violence Clinic
- Guest Lecturer on Domestic Violence, Substance Abuse and Other Treatment Modalities: Universities, Junior Colleges and community groups
- Clinical Director: Caplan Therapy Centre
- Advisor: Montreal Anger Management Centre (MAMC)
- Advisor: Caplan Therapy Training Centre
- Licensed Psychotherapist (Psychotherapeute – OPQ)
- Advisory Board Member of International Association of Domestic Violence Intervention Programs (IADVIP)
- Cree Board of Health and Social Services of James Bay – MFT Therapist
- 2014 – AMI-Quebec Award for Exemplary Service in the Field of Mental Illness